Marti Cifuentes never stopped believing in his players as QPR came from behind to beat Stoke City 4-2 at Loftus Road – a first home win in 261 days.

Lyndon Dykes broke the deadlock from the spot for the Rs but the hosts were pegged back on the stroke of half-time as Ryan Mmaee fired home.

The Potters were reduced to 10 men in the 53rd minute when Enda Stevens was dismissed for a second bookable offence but they took the lead just six minutes later, Wouter Burger curling into the bottom corner.

Dykes tied the game 11 minutes from time with a spectacular volley before a Ben Pearson own goal gave Rangers a precious lead in the 89th minute.

Stoke’s woes were compounded in stoppage time as Chris Willock converted to seal Cifuentes’ first win as QPR head coach.

“I always believed we would win the game,” Cifuentes said. “Otherwise I would not be here. I believe in my guys, I believe in my players.

“That is what we said at half-time, we need to show the mentality that I am sure is going to give us the win.

“Despite how difficult the game was – not only going 2-1 down but also when it went to 1-1 after a big chance for us – we must give credit to the guys.

“They are working really hard and they deserve this victory.”

Scotland international Dykes was the driving force behind Cifuentes’ maiden victory, following up on his first-half penalty with a strike that stunned Stoke fans into silence.

After struggling for goals this season, a game-winning brace against the Potters was just what the doctor ordered.

“I am very happy for Lyndon,” Cifuentes added.

“We had a good conversation during the week. We are aligned in terms of what I expect from him.

“He is an experienced, international player and he is very important for us.

“I am very happy for him because I know it is not easy when you are a striker and you have not been scoring.

“He showed the personality and responsibility to take the penalty and his second goal is a quality goal.”

The game did not go without controversy, with many question marks surrounding the dismissal of Stevens – who saw red for two soft yellow cards.

Feeling short-changed by the result, Stoke manager Alex Neil cited the officiating as his main cause of frustration.

“I am disappointed, frustrated and angry,” Neil said.

“The first penalty is really soft, I have watched it back and, if that is a penalty, you would get a penalty every time the ball comes into the box because lads are always wrestling.

“The second decision, Enda’s second yellow, was so soft. I am not even sure it was a foul, if I am honest, but, if it is a foul, not every foul is booking.

“We picked up eight bookings this evening and I can’t remember one bad tackle in the whole game.

“It feels as if the game was taken away from us and the difficulty you have, certainly in those moments, is that it wasn’t justified.”