Will Evans was the happiest man in Twickenham Stoop after scoring his first ever professional double in Harlequins’ 50-26 victory over Worcester Warriors on Saturday. 

Evans touched down either side of the break in the eight-try victory in the capital, with the first of his efforts an acrobatic finish in the corner following a maul, as Quins had the bonus-point wrapped up before the break in the comprehensive win. 

The five-point success was the perfect way to respond after defeats to Ulster in the Challenge Cup and Bristol Bears in their last domestic outing, and keeps Quins in fourth-spot in the table, and just four points behind second-placed Exeter Chiefs. 

And it was a day to remember for Evans, who was the benefactor of a strong performance by the hosts up front, as they constantly overpowered their opponents at the set-piece, with his first score of the afternoon destined for the showreel in the future. 

“I’m going to enjoy watching that one back tonight, I don’t know where it came from, but there was a scrum-half on the line so I thought that I surely can’t be repelled here and just managed to dive over the line and dot it over, so I was pretty pleased,” Evans said. 

“It’s been a long time, I certainly haven’t done it [scored twice] in professional rugby, but maybe for my school, Wymondham College, when I was about 12 years old. 

“I was thrilled, but they were only five metres out and in mauls so do they really count, I don’t know, but I’m certainly going to enjoy them.” 

Quins got off to the perfect start against their lowly opponents, with Danny Care keeping up his resounding run of form with the first try of the game just two minutes in as he snuck round the blindside of the scrum. 

Niall Annett replied immediately for the visitors with a close-ranger, before Marcus Smith made it three tries in the opening seven minutes after a neat give and go with Alex Dombrandt to leave the Warriors defence standing. 

The ding-dong nature of the tie continued as Joe Batley went over for Worcester ten minutes in, but that was the last time they would trouble the scorers in the first stanza, while Andre Esterhuizen and Wilco Louw went over to put the hosts into the ascendency. 

Evans then got his brace either side of the break, before Tyrone Green and Luke Northmore rounded off the scoring for Quins – who continue to play some of the most eye-catching rugby in the country at present – to help them maintain their fourth-placed position in the table and keep the gap at four points to Northampton Saints below. 

Two late tries for the Warriors took some of the emphasis off the scoreline, but Evans was left beaming after a dominant performance that their attacking endeavours deserved. 

“We wanted the five points before the game, we didn’t ever kick for the posts, we were really attacking in our intent to go for the corner every time and keep ticking the scoreboard over with tries and conversions, so we’re really pleased with the way we went about it,” he said. 

“We were pleased, certainly with the second half. First half we weren’t quite there and it wasn’t really acceptable in the way that it was we score, they score. 

“We were pretty disappointed with our defensive output in the first half, but we said at half-time that we’ve got to start making dominant collisions in defence and I thought we really did that.”