Ollie Watkins came off the bench to secure Brentford victory in a tight London derby with Millwall.

The Bees ran out 2-0 victors with goals from Sergi Canos and Watkins ensuring Thomas Frank’s men got all three points.

It was a first win for the Brentford boss, who took over as manager last month when Dean Smith left for Aston Villa.

After a scrappy opening period, both teams managed to carve out some good opportunities in the first half.

Brentford had a penalty appeal waved away by referee Simon Hooper early on after Nico Yennaris raced onto Moses Odubajo’s crafty through ball and flicked the ball up towards Shaun Hutchinson’s hand but nothing was given.

The Lions had the better of the early chances and were denied the lead on 20 minutes after a fine save from Brentford keeper Daniel Bentley, who dived backwards brilliantly to prevent Jake Cooper’s header looping over him.

From the resulting corner Shaun Williams got his header all wrong signalling another let off for the Bees.

Cooper then missed another great chance for Millwall failing to make enough contact will the ball following a great delivery from Murray Wallace.

Brentford ended the half the strongest and left-winger Said Benrahma was a constant threat going forward, causing all sorts of problems for Millwall right-back Mahlon Romeo.

Benrahma had the best moment of the half when the skilful winger cut in off the left flank and smashed a curling effort against the bar, leaving Millwall keeper Ben Amos helpless.

After the break Millwall had the first chance of the period when Ryan Leonard jumped highest to head wide of the far post.

Moments later Brentford broke the deadlock thanks to Sergi Canos.

The midfielder raced onto a delightful through ball from striker Neal Maupay and the Spaniard placed his effort into the bottom corner as the Millwall defence appealed for offside.

Maupay nearly added a second minutes later but could not get onto the end of Benrahma’s low cross.

On the hour, Millwall forward Lee Gregory latched onto Steve Morison’s pass but could not beat Ezri Konsa or Bentley.

Substitute Jed Wallace went close twice for Millwall but the Lions could not find an equaliser.

Brentford then rattled the bar again on 72 minutes with Maupay glancing Henrik Dalsgaard’s flick on against the woodwork following at a corner.

The game remained close until the end when Watkins linked up well with Maupay to fire past Amos to win the game for Brentford.

Brentford searched for a third late on but were unable to add to their lead.