FIREFIGHTERS are issuing a safety reminder about candles after a fire in Greenford Road, Greenford, on Friday (29).

Part of the first floor of a two-storey semi-detached house was damaged.

One woman left the house before crews arrived and she was treated by ambulance staff after inhaling smoke

The fire is being treated as accidental and is believed to have been caused by a candle. 

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "Candles are one of the most common causes of fire. It’s really important you never leave one unattended and keep them away from anything else that can easily catch alight."

The brigade was called at 11.23pm and the fire was under control before midnight. Four engines and around 25 crew from Southall, Ealing and Northolt attended.

Top candle safety tips

  • Don't leave candles unattended
  • Keep candles away from curtains, furniture and anything else that can catch fire.
  • Keep loose clothing and hair away from candles when they are lit. 
  • Always place your candles/tea lights in a suitable fire resistant candleholder.
  • Make sure the candleholder holds the candle firmly and is on a flat and stable surface to stop it falling over.