FIREFIGHTERS have issued a cooking safety warning following a blaze at an outbuilding in Boileau Road, North Ealing, yesterday evening (5).

A single-storey outbuilding used as accommodation in the back garden of a semi-detached house was destroyed.

Three people left the building before the brigade arrived and a man was treated on scene by ambulance crews.

The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by combustible items left too close to an electric grill.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “The fire was discovered when an occupant asleep in the bedroom woke to the smell of burning.

“They went to the kitchen and discovered a fire in the corner of the room. They attempted to tackle it themselves before leaving the property.

“It’s really important you don’t leave cooking unattended and never leave fabrics, such as tea towels, near a cooker or hob.”

The brigade was called at 7.56pm and the fire was under control by 8.40. Three fire engines and around 15 firefighters from Acton, Ealing and Park Royal attended.