FIREFIGHTERS rescued a man from a blaze in a flat at Beardsley Way, Acton, in the early hours of this morning (14). 

Part of the studio flat, on the first floor of a block, was damaged and one man was treated at the scene.

Fire investigators believe it was caused by a discarded cigarette but.

A spokesperson said: "We’d rather you didn’t smoke at all, but if you are a smoker, it’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.

“If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home but also cost you your life.”

The brigade was called at 1.02am and the fire was under control just before 2am. Two fire engines and around 10 crew from Acton and Hammersmith attended.