FIRE crews are reminding people to take care when cooking after a blaze at a flat in Berners Drive, near Drayton Green station, West Ealing, on Saturday afternoon.

Part of the second floor of a three-storey block was damaged and firefighters helped one man from the property. He was assessed by an ambulance crew.

Investigators believe the fire was caused by unattended cooking.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "If you have to leave the kitchen, turn off the heat.

"All it can take is for you to become distracted for a few seconds and your cooking oil can quickly go up in flames."

The brigade was called at 2.03pm and the fire was under control by 2.32. Two engines and around 10 firefighters from Southall, Northolt and Ealing stations were at the scene.