Well-wishers packed the streets of London to cheer Britain's sporting heroes as they paraded through the capital.

Olympics and Paralympics stars including Jessica Ennis, Sir Chris Hoy, Hannah Cockcroft and Jonnie Peacock proudly wore their medals as they waved to fans from open-top floats which wound their way through streets full of fans.

Despite the Paralympics coming to a close with a rousing ceremony on Sunday night, the celebrations continued with a carnival-like atmosphere in the city. Around 800 athletes travelled on 21 floats, grouped in alphabetical order by their sport.

The stars of the Olympics' Super Saturday - Mo Farah, who won gold in both the 5,000m and 10,000m, heptathlon gold medallist Ennis and long jump champion Greg Rutherford - were in the first three floats, which departed from Mansion House in the City just after 1.30pm following a fanfare of trumpets.

The crowds, dozens deep in places, were a sea of red, white and blue as fans waved Union flags at the passing floats. Many also held up home-made banners, with some donning patriotic fancy dress for the occasion.

But athletes humbly insisted the procession was also there to recognise spectators for their support during the Games. Ahead of the parade setting off, Hoy said: "This isn't really for us this is for them because they've made the Games."

The parade was announced with a fanfare as it passed the Royal Courts of Justice on Fleet Street, where it reached the City of Westminster and left the City of London.

Ellie Simmonds, who wore her four medals around her neck, waved to the crowd who called out her name as she passed. She told BBC News: "It's amazing, the support they've given us in the Olympics and Paralympics."

The parade went through Admiralty Arch and into The Mall, before travelling down to the Queen Victoria Memorial where it was due to end.

Athletes and spectators looked up as a spectacular flypast roared over their heads. Four RAF helicopters were led by the British Airways jet which was used to bring the Olympic Flame to the UK at the start of the Games.