Glitter released by Savile police

Glitter released by Savile police

Gary Glitter has left a police station after he was arrested as part of the Jimmy Savile allegations probe

Police leave the home of Gary Glitter after the former pop star was arrested by officers investigating the Jimmy Savile scandal

Former pop star Gary Glitter returns to his house after he was arrested by police investigating the Jimmy Savile scandal

First published in National News © by

Former pop star Gary Glitter has left a central London police station after he was arrested by police investigating the Jimmy Savile scandal.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "Officers working on Operation Yewtree have arrested a man in his 60s in connection with the investigation.

"The man, from London, was arrested at approximately 7.15am on suspicion of sexual offences and has been taken into custody at a London police station. The individual falls under the strand of the investigation we have termed 'Savile and others'."

Glitter, whose real name is Paul Gadd, was photographed leaving Charing Cross police station shortly before 5pm on Sunday. Scotland Yard later said that Glitter was bailed to return in mid-December.

The late TV presenter Savile, who died last year at the age of 84, has been described as one of the most prolific sex offenders in recent UK history. Scotland Yard detectives are dealing with about 300 alleged victims and are following more than 400 lines of inquiry.

It has emerged that Savile's cottage in Allt na Reigh, Glencoe, Scotland, was vandalised overnight. A spokesman for Northern Constabulary said "abusive slogans" were painted on the walls of the property.

Officers appealed for anyone with information to contact them. Earlier this week officers searched the cottage to look for "any evidence of any others being involved in any offending with him".

Glitter's arrest came as the chairman of the BBC Trust, Lord Patten, said he was dedicated to finding out the truth about the scandal that has engulfed the corporation, vowing there would be "no covering our backs".

Writing in the Mail on Sunday newspaper he said the BBC's reputation was on the line, and that it has risked squandering the public's trust. He also apologised "unreservedly" to the abused women who spoke to the BBC's Newsnight programme but did not have their stories told when the report was axed.

"Now my immediate priority is to get to the bottom of the Savile scandal and to make any and every change necessary in the BBC to learn the lessons from our independent investigations," he said.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree