Five Ealing food outlets temporarily closed after 'disgusting' conditions discovered in health checks

Ealing Times: Snapshot of the floor at Palm Palace when inspectors visited Snapshot of the floor at Palm Palace when inspectors visited

MICE nesting among food boxes, a cockroach found in a takeaway meal and crockery ‘washed’ in filthy water were just a few of the horrors food hygiene inspectors dealt with in Ealing borough last month.

Five unsafe food businesses were forced to close temporarily and clean up their premises in February after council officers found evidence of serious breaches of food hygiene regulations.

An inspection took place at 2 in 1 Pizza at 504 Lady Margaret Road, Southall, after a customer complained they found a cockroach in their food.

When officers visited the business, they found a serious mouse and German cockroach infestation, including a nest of mice running around inside a box used to store takeaway food containers and rodent faeces inside pizza boxes.

The business was ordered to close immediately and was not allowed to open again until 10 days later after extensive cleaning and pest control measures were put in place.

Vegetarian restaurant Delhi Wala, of 11 King Street, Southall, was also forced to close temporarily after officers found evidence of rat, mouse and cockroach activity on the premises.

Mouse droppings and dead cockroaches were found in the kitchen and serving areas, while rat droppings were found in the storage area. The restaurant was allowed to open five days later once officers were satisfied improvements were complete.

When council officers visited Al Rafidain, a butcher and grocer at 140 Churchfield Road, Acton, it had a serious mouse infestation and was dirty throughout.

A live mouse was found among bags of rice on sale, while packets of food sitting on the shops shelves had been chewed by rodents.

Once again, the business was closed and reopened five days later when the public health risk had been removed.

Serious concerns were raised about Rays restaurant, located at 78 The Green, Southall, after a routine hygiene inspection.

Problems at the business included a lack of adequate hand washing, filthy water used to wash dishes, ‘clean’ plates wiped with visibly dirty cloths, dead cockroaches and evidence of rodents.

Inspectors also noticed a smell of gas during the inspection and National Grid confirmed a gas leak and disconnected the supply. The business was allowed to reopen after two weeks.

More evidence of mouse and cockroach infestations was found when officers visited Palm Palace at 80 South Road, Southall.

Mouse droppings were found on food preparation surfaces and the business was generally dirty. The restaurant was closed for three days until improvements were made.

Councillor Ranjit Dheer, cabinet member for community services and safety, said: “The state of these businesses was truly disgusting, as well as unsafe. I would also urge local residents to check food hygiene ratings before they buy any fresh or packaged food from a business.”

Ealing magistrates ratified the Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Notices served and all five businesses were ordered to pay the council’s costs.

Anyone who is concerned that a business is breaching food hygiene regulations should email foodsafety@ealing.gov.uk or call 020 8825 6666.

Visit www.food.gov.uk to check the food hygiene rating of local businesses.

A video showing the nesting mice at 2 for 1 Pizza can be viewed at www.youtube.com/ealingcouncil

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree